Monday 21 August 2023

Families Matter

Oops. I've been missing in action on this site for far too long. I'm blaming it on Gran duty - families matter, and I've been living temporarily in Sydney for over a year, helping my sole-parent daughter with her four teenagers - two sets of twins aged seventeen and sixteen. All are learning to drive at the same time, each requiring 120 hours of supervised driving instruction. Nightmare territory. Add a large dog, plus ongoing home renovations, and chaos results.
 
This is me with them many moons ago. They are all great kids but, looking back, they were much easier to manage when they were babies!


 Am I excused for not putting many words on the page lately? 

I'm prompted to write now because there's a story in this week's news about mistakes made by an IVF clinic in Australia. Many other examples pop up in online media stories concerning mistakes made in IVF clinics in the USA. In my own extended family, an IVF clinic in the UK made a mistake with permanent consequences for all concerned.


Intrigued by the heart-wrenching dilemmas of infertility, I used an IVF clinic mistake as a major theme in my romance novel 'Trading Secrets', available through this link. I think my story might have been regarded as a 'tall story' until this week's news item emerged, citing similar maladministration, but I won't spoil my plot by divulging the exact details. 

Many people spend years yearning for children of their own, and I've written another book where the underlying theme is the struggle over infertility - 'Still Waters Run Deep'. Like 'Trading Secrets', it's also available at major online bookshops

I'm on the lookout for similar books. A favourite has been the rural romance story and characters in 'His Best Friend's Baby' by Barbara Hannay. I was intrigued by the complicated story in 'He Gets That From Me' by Jacqueline Friedland. I've also read 'Once Upon a Holiday' by Claudia Burgoa, written in first person and full of explicit sex but amusing in parts. 

Given how widespread in our communities is the problem of infertility and how many couples use the services of IVF clinics, I'm surprised there aren't more romance titles in this vein. Any suggestions? Or any feedback on the two stories I've written on this topic?

For more details of my books, check out my website
(shared with Louise Wilson, my non-fiction writing name) 
and follow me on Facebook and Instagram.

Families Matter!

No comments:

Post a Comment